Welcome gamers. Join us on a tale of two armies as they muster their forces and go to war for honor, glory and the wanton destruction of battle.
So here is the deal, OmniDevil and myself have been wanting to start a couple of new Warhammer Fantasy armies. We thought about it and decided that the best way to do that is to do a “A Tale of Two Gamers” style series here on the blog. It would give us the ability to work on our armies in tandem and give each other some deadlines for getting them built and painted for some really great Fantasy games.
With that decided it was time for us to choose armies. Omni had previously started on a High Elf army, but was losing interest. In the interest of diversification (and frankly just being totally enamored with them for some time now) decided he would choose Vampire Counts. He decided it would be lead by the Vampire Lord Dumitra du Siebenburgen and his necromancer cronies.
Well that made for a bad guy. I have a Skaven army that is perpetually in the process of being built (stupid amounts of clanrats and slaves), so in the interest of the same diversifying nature, all the great army lore and because I just love some of the new models that GW just released I have chosen the Empire. Baron Greger von Luft, the Earl of Carnarvon’s men will be led by his trusted general, Commander Heinrich Ristedtler and his youngest son, Captain Bertholdt von Luft.
We decided on a few things to help us reach our goal of each having a 3000 point army, which we will catastrophically throw at each other in a final epic battle. Now on to the rules:
- We each had to choose a new army. No using models and units that we had already bought.
- Our armies will be built up to five milestones (1000, 1500, 2000, etc.) As we reach these milestones we will face off against each other to determine the on going outcome of our characters ambitions.
- Units will be built one at a time and within a set deadline. All building, converting, and painting must be completed before moving on to the next unit. Large units can be split up over multiple deadline periods.
- As best as the participants can they will each choose units from the same troop category for each deadline.
- Before units are chosen each player must present their army list for the current milestone. Units will be chosen from that army list.
- Each milestone army list must contain all of the previous milestone’s units. The units may increase in size, but may never get smaller. As much as possible each of the units needs to contain similar equipment load outs.
- The only exception to this is Characters. Characters may upgrade up and down between Lord and Hero choices where similar options exist in both categories, and in the case of wizards may increase or decrease in level. However, they must still represent who they were in the previous list. (E.G. A wizard must stay a wizard, etc.)
Well that about sums up the project. We hope to wow you with additional information about each of our chosen armies and characters and will be posting detailed backgrounds individually as we round out that information. We will also be posting our lists as we get them set and start the process of scheduling our units for the long task of modeling ahead of us.
Word of warning for you loyal fans. This project is going to take a long time for the both of us. Our first official game with our painted armies is not scheduled until December of this year. We want you all to know though that we will be doing many posts updating you on our progress and delving into our reasons into the unit selections we have taken. Hopefully over the long haul we will learn something, you will possibly learn something and we will all be royally entertained.
So join us on this adventure, and until next time.